Finished (Maybe?)


Remember how, like a year and a half ago, I managed a company buyout and takeover transition? I thought I would have been done holding their hand back in October when all the t's were crossed and i's dotted.


Okay, so this post is a little late in the writing, but I figured I'd share the last interaction I had with that company.

May 23 (a year and some after the transition was supposed to be done) I got MULTIPLE requests from the company to takeover the Google Business listing. OK. I'll get to it when I get to it. I authorize the takeover, and think, once again, I'M DONE.

(It should be noted that during this time, I kept getting email notifications that their credit card had failed on their Google Workspace renewal and that they needed to update it. I forwarded all of these to their admin team.)

June 6 - the new yard manager (who had been the assistant yard manager when I managed the company), messages me.

YM: Did [company name] buy the domain and website when they bought the yard?
Me: They didn't buy it, per se, but they have full control over it now. Is this because the e-mail accounts are no longer working?
YM: Yes, ma'am. We're looking to get the info to log in to the domain.
Me: It's not the domain they need to sign in to. I've forwarded all the screenshots from the Google Workspace emails that have told me multiple times that their credit card payment not longer works to [admin team member].
YM: Oh I gotcha. We'll get it sorted out. Thank you.
Me: I put in my work a year ago to get this all done, I'm no longer holding anyone's hand for this. I gave them EVERYTHING they needed, and even walked [admin team member] through the step required WELL after it was even part of my job.

That conversation sparked a message from the admin team member that I'd mentioned.

Admin: Hi, we are having issues with our domain and email. We don't have access.
Me: I can't assist you with this. I gave you all the information ages ago. The email issue is with Google Workspace, which is signed in under [email address].
Admin: We changed the password ages ago and now we can't log in.
Me: I know this isn't entirely on you, but I'm not going out of my way to assist on this. When the site went down in the fall, I took my time and even did a walk-through on how to access what's needed - well after the buyout was complete.
Admin: It's totally not on me. I had nothing to do with the whole setup.
Me: (knowing who was the most responsible) I know it's not. You're just the one that gets stuck with having to ask me and clean up when other people drop the ball.

Then they asked who owned the Facebook page for the company. At that point, I was done. I told them I didn't know, and that was that.

Thankfully, I haven't heard from them since June and haven't had anymore emails regarding their domain or email accounts. HOWEVER, they took over our scrap bin service when they bought out the property, and their customers keep calling me to have their bins picked up. And when they do, I give them the personal cell phone number of the owner of the company.

This little interaction brought my burnout right to the forefront, and for about 2 weeks I was nearly useless. In case someone thinks that burnout isn't something to be wary of...

Previous Post

Next Post

⟦ What's Its Name ⟧ - Version 1.2 - Go Home - Top - RSS